Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dilation is Just A Number



Most people know that when it comes to giving birth vaginally, a woman’s cervix must go from 0 cm to 10 cm, before she can deliver her baby. Okay, so it's not just a number, it does play a pretty important role. Personally, though, I think that expecting parents can focus a little too much on the number and often times don’t realize the many other ways that labor is progressing.


For example, during the birth of my 4th daughter, I was in very active labor (if not transition) when my midwife suggested that she check the dilation of my cervix.  I consented & after checking me, she told me I was 5 cm.  Being very vulnerable & definitely in transition, I thought there was no way!  I had to be close to done!  After walking from the bathroom to the bed and a few really tough contractions, I was complete & began involuntarily pushing.  I went from 5 cm to baby in my arms in about 15 minutes!


That being said, aside from contractions & cervical dilation, there are other factors that can show us progress in labor.


1.Position of Cervix- A cervix moving from posterior (near the back, hard to reach) to anterior (near the front of the vagina, easy to reach) is considered a sign of progress.


2.Effacement- The cervix starts out long & firm, but as labor progresses, the cervix shortens &  thins.


3.Baby’s Station- The caregiver finds the ischial spines & estimates the distance between the spines and the baby’s head.  If the head is above the spines, it’s considered a negative station.  If it’s below, it’s considered a positive station.



4.Checking for Position

Anterior fontanel- The diamond shaped fontanel located near the front of baby's head is presented.
Posterior fontanel- The triangle shaped fontanel located towards the back of the baby's head is  presented.

As you can see, there are quite a few factors to look at when determining progress in labor.  Cervical dilation is just one of them.  Try not to get stuck on the number.

Written by: Andrea Myers


 Disclaimer: As doulas, we DO NOT perform clinical tasks i.e. check the cervix.  We leave that to the medical professionals.  We are just familiar with how the cervix works.






No comments:

Post a Comment